Friday, December 2, 2011

Tutoring

Since being back in MN Eric and I have been thinking of ways we can be involved in our church and community. We have decided that we wanted to tutor kids through a program at our church. Its called Park Avenue Youth and Family Services and we will be tutoring a child once a week helping them with reading. The kids are mostly from a school near by that has a very low population of students that pass the states reading exam (I think only 20% passed last year). Most of the kids in our neighborhood are very behind in their reading levels and need help catching up after school.

I am very excited to do this but I am also super nervous. Eric kind of had to talk me into it because I wasn't sure I was "smart enough" to tutor kids. I was never good at spelling, math, or science so I don't want to mess up the kid more! But I think I will be able to handle reading. I know Eric is going to be really good at it. He has tutored kids before at another school in South Minneapolis.

We will work with our kid for a whole hour on a reading assignment that is designed to catch them up to the reading level they should be at. After they have finished the reading assignment we will have 30 min of fun time. During this time we can play games, read more, or work on other homework.

I found out yesterday that I will be tutoring a 2nd grader and Eric is tutoring an 8th grader from the same family. I am excited to build a relationship with my student and to help him/her grow in their reading abilities. I am sure I will learn a lot in this process as well! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. i'm sure that you will be great at it honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you. You'll need to update us soon on how it's going.

    ReplyDelete